Guide to All Things Cavanaugh
Fun Facts about Cavanaugh
- When it was decided Cavanaugh would become a women’s dorm, the men living there were not happy. Rumor has it that they published an article in the Observer around Christmas entitled, “How the Grinch Stole Naughville."
- Cavanaugh is special in that it always has the same brother dorm each year: its neighbor, Zahm House. Zahm, known for their community, has a similar floor plan to Cavanaugh, has Ignats the moose as a mascot, and its residence are called “Zahmbies.” Cavanaugh has many events with Zahm, including a Brother-Sister week!
Cavanaugh Events to Look Forward To:
- Welcome Weekend: Your first Cavanaugh event, freshman orientation, is full of awesome activities with opportunities to get to know your fellow Cavanaugh freshmen as well as freshmen from other dorms. It is a packed weekend, and we do our best to make you welcome at Notre Dame. We’re here to give you a weekend to remember!
- Cavanaugh Mass: Every Sunday at 10pm, we have mass in our beautiful Chapel of the Holy Spirit. We also hold daily mass every Monday and Wednesday at 10pm. Worshipping with your fellow Naugh residents is a great way to get to know people in the dorm, plus you’re allowed to wear your PJ’s and slippers—something that is not allowed at the Basilica!
- Cavanaugh Cornhole: Our annual charity fundraiser. Come play a classic lawn game with your friends and raise money for a good cause!
- Christmas Pageant: Before Christmas break, Cavanaugh invites local kids to the chapel and performs the nativity play for them, costumes and all. This is the perfect time to take a break from the end of the year frenzy and make some kids smile, as well as having fun with your fellow residents!
Living in Cavanaugh
Every room in Cavanaugh has its own peculiarities and quirks. You should get some information from the Office of Residential Life and Housing, including a map of Cavanaugh. Until move in day, though, here is what we can tell you …
2 Room Triple 14’ x 9’ (each room)
3 Room Quad 14’ x 9’ (each room)
1 Room Double/Triple 15’ x 14’
1 Room Double (the x58 rooms) 14’ x 10’
Furniture For Each Resident/Room:
A few tips:
- You might want to get some extra drawer or storage space for clothes
- All rooms except for those on the 4th floor have modular furniture, which means you can loft your beds. Lofting beds is a great way to save space, so you can have more room for other items like futons, TVs, etc.
- Ask upperclassmen for advice on how to set up your room! Chances are, someone who had your room in the past can send you pictures or ideas. Some of the rooms, especially on the fourth floor, are pretty unique and advice is very helpful.
- Kitchen: Last year, Cavanaugh was lucky enough to have our basement completely renovated, including a brand new kitchen. Our kitchen has a microwave, stovetop, ice machine, and oven, as well as general cookware and silverware. To access the cookware, you must check out the supplies with an RA. We also have a big fridge and freezer that you can store personal food in, as long as you write your name on it!
- Basement: Our newly renovated basement has comfy booths and tables for studying or hanging out with friends, as well as a comfy lounge area with a large TV and ping pong table.
- Bathrooms: Each floor of Cavanaugh has two female only bathrooms, complete with showers, sinks, stalls, and shelving for shower caddies. The basement and first floor have unisex, single-person bathrooms.
- Desks: Each floor has additional desks in the hallways for residents of Cavanaugh to use, and are usually located near windows and ends of hallways.
- Study Room: The fourth floor offers a 24 hour quiet space with desks and outlets, providing a perfect study space if you don't want to leave Cav!
- First Floor Lounge: Across from the hall office, Cavanaugh has a first floor lounge, complete with a TV, comfy couches, desks, and our dorm printer.
- Mail Room: All mail pieces for Notre Dame residents are delivered directly to the dorm. Small pieces of mail are put into mail slots along the wall next to the hall office, while larger packages are either delivered directly to the room or to the main mail room and to be distributed later.
- Gym: Our gym is located in the basement, with 3 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, yoga mats, various weights and a weight bench. Our recent renovations provided a full mirror wall for you to check out your form.
- Washers/Dryers: The laundry room is next to the gym, with 7 washers and 8 dryers, as well as hanging racks and folding tables. It costs around $1.50 per wash and $1.25 per dry.
- Elevator: Cavanaugh has an elevator, although it should be noted that it is quite old. The elevator has a gate, which must be closed for it to operate, so be kind to your fellow Cavanaughties and make sure to close it completely when you get out of the elevator!
ND Events to Look Forward To:
Songs to Start Mastering
If you want to cheer at football games and pep rallies like a seasoned pro, start practicing the lyrics of these Notre Dame classics!
Notre Dame Victory March
Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame,
Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
Send a volley cheer on high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky!
What though the odds be great or small,
Old Notre Dame will win over all,
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to victory!
Notre Dame, Our Mother [Alma Mater]
Notre Dame, our Mother
Tender, strong and true
Proudly in the heavens,
Gleams thy gold and blue.
Glory's mantle cloaks thee
Golden is thy fame,
And our hearts forever,
Praise thee, Notre Dame.
And our hearts forever,
Love thee, Notre Dame.